Graphic Design Theory, Meredith Davis (2012)


Searching for further reading into the theory of graphic design has lead me to the book Graphic Design Theory by Meredith Davis.

It explains various theories and ideas that has influenced the graphic design profession from 1900 to the present. It is broken down into four main parts, those being:

  • Language of the visual world and semiotics 
  • Modernism 
  • Post-modernism 
  • A new paradigm, looking at the digital revolution 

What did strike me when reading this book is that a lot of what Davis is writing about is what I was taught and discovered at university while studying my BA In Graphic Design, and also learnt following that, during my career as a designer. I’m certainly not implying that I already know everything she discusses, but I do believe that the reason I am successful in my chosen career path is largely because I am already aware of the majority of these theories and unconsciously apply them to my day-to-day working practice.

So, does that mean I have simply already answered the question? Have I already proven the hypothesis that learning about the theory of practice informs your working practice? As all the theories outlined by Davis have certainly informed my practice as a graphic designer.

It can’t be as simple as that though, and I can’t stop thinking that I shouldn’t just have my head in books to carry out this project, that I need to be ‘doing’ and carrying out more primary research. After all, it’s all very well reading and knowing the theories behind graphic design, but in order to improve and grow as a designer you have to apply that knowledge to your work and discover what is successful and unsuccessful.

I feel like I’ve hit a bit of a wall here, as I’m not sure what form this primary research should be just yet. All I could think of is to perhaps set myself a design brief and carry it out based on the theories outlined by Davis. But I’m really not sure how this will inform me further or if it’s the best use of my time. HELP!


REFERENCE
Davis, M. (2012). Graphic Design Theory. London: Thames & Hudson.

Comments

Popular Posts